Good Topics for an Argumentative Research Paper
If you are trying to write an argumentative or a persuasive essay then you have to choose a side and present a logical argument for that side that is both well thought out and reasoned. You can to convince someone who believes the opposite thing that you believe to believe in your side instead. You will have to have a couple of arguments in the topic you choose or this type of essay will have no effect. It is something like a compare and contrast in that regard, but a bit more complicated than that.
One of the ways that you can best begin an essay of this type is to start out with a quote or a fact that is shocking or interesting in some way. Another way would be to open up the essay with a question that you believe would help. You want to then talk about your thesis immediately so that the person reading the essay can have an understanding of what they can expect from your presentation. If you are going to be done this in a way to shock the reader then you should try to find a statistic you can quote right out of the gate. If you want them to question something deeply, then try to pose a question and make them think on the topic before you finally launch into your argument.
With all of that being said, you need to pick a topic first. This is the most important part of the work that you are going to be doing and it is the part of the process that a lot of people have trouble doing. Good thing for you there is help to be found. For people interested in politics, for instance, there are a lot of topics that are commonly debated in the world and in the media at large. You could take a stance on any of these topics.
- Drug prescriptions
- Whether the tax system helps to cater to the wealthy among us.
- Whether social security needs to be reformed.
- If partisan politics exists or if they have gone too far.
- If international relations are any better now than they have been in the past.
- Immigration issues.
- Trying to work with the budget and how the budget is being balanced.
- Whether or not affirmative action works or if it may be racist.
- Is the electoral college in the United States used properly?
- Should impeachment be used in any circumstance
- Are senators who are caught doing bad things with people working with them held accountable?